Wednesday, May 1

Shakespeare's "Like a rich jewel in an Ethiope's ear": Juliet and models

ROMEO

"Oh, she doth teach the torches to burn bright!
It seems she hangs upon the cheek of night
Like a rich jewel in an Ethiope’s ear,
Beauty too rich for use, for earth too dear.
So shows a snowy dove trooping with crows
As yonder lady o'er her fellows shows.
The measure done, I’ll watch her place of stand,
And, touching hers, make blessèd my rude hand.
Did my heart love till now? Forswear it, sight!
For I ne'er saw true beauty till this night."



"Like a rich jewel in an Ethiope’s ear"

I was watching Zeffirelli's Romeo and Juliet and noticed the reference to the "Ethiope's ear". I did a little research and found out that this is a very famous metaphor.

No, I don't wanna discuss if Shakespeare was a racist or speculate any hidden intention in the phrase but I cannot help thinking that the Ethiop is like a frame, a support or a background that highlights the fairness and brightness of Juliet.

Nothing is said about the Ethiop.

This picture is a Pinterest under the title "Like a rich jewel in an Ethiop's ear".
Again nothing is said about these black people since they are models. At the fashion kingdom nothing is said about most models and only those who are on top make a lot of money and has the right to have a personality and even share some ideas.

Very democratic, the fashion world treats caucasian, black, brunettes, yellow, brown all skin colors the same way.
But they have to be skinny, skins and bones, and never be tanned or they lose any possibility for a gig.
Do you see the model? I confess I don't. I look at all these stuffs all over the head and neck of the model and, as I live in Rio de Janeiro, carnival comes to my mind for I've been exposed to costumes since I was born. I've seen similar things in the school's of samba parades.

All the photoshop also disturbs me:.the ace of the model received a white light to enhance the bright of the jewel that is on the top right.
I wonder how this, and the other women at the page,  looks like and how are they doing, I would like to know about them but models are frames, supports or a background to the exhibition of creations that ironically are unwearable.
Do you watch the faces of models?  Can you name three models that are not on the top models's list?

If you want not to be watched you should consider being a model and nobody will notice you. Very good profession for those who are low profile.

Happy Workers Day!