Sunday, April 13

Homage to Portela: Paulinho da Viola one of the greatest Brazilian samba compositors


One of the most beautiful sambas in Brazilian history.
Dedicated to the samba school "Portela" Paulinho da Viola did this song in 1969.
Portela was angry at him because he did a samba to another samba school "Mangueira".
I hope you like it.
But samba is just one of numerous styles we have in Brazil.
We have rock and rooooooooooollllllllllllllllllllllll too. lol
Yes, we do have some great bands.
I feel like crying when this music starts and I don't know why.

Anyway I was nine years old when it came out and I decided I would be a Portela follower. I never been to the place they get united to practice because it is far from my house. But I'll go in this lifetime. I want to go there because it is the place to watch the real samba being danced. Over the years money started changing Rio de Janeiro's carnival and changes were made to attract tourists. Money became the goal. The same as what happened to Hollywood just to give an example.

I'll tell you what I felt in Portela. When you are close to a "bateria" (the school of samba band) you simply cannot standstill. It is contagious, so strong, so powerful... you have to be there.
Incredible.